Thursday 20 June 1996

1996: Walt Disney's World on Ice

Walt Disney's World on Ice. Written and directed by Jerry Bilik.  Skating Director and Choreographer: Bob Paul.  At the StarDome, Exhibition Park.  June 20 - 23, 1996 (5 matinee performances).

    At my keyboard sits a young boy, hair all awry and with sticking-out ears.  This is his e-mail message -
To: mickeymouse@disney.com
From: bruce@canberra.au
Subject: World Wide Web on Ice
cc: minniemouse, donaldduck, goofie, rogerrabbitt@disney.com

    This is not a flame, unless you want to take it the wrong way.  On the Internet everyone's equal, like you don't know how old I am, or what colour I am.  So I just want to know did you have any black people hidden in your costumes, because all the people who had bits of skin I could see were white.  And why did you and Minnie have to stand on top of that wobbly tower at the end as if you are more important than the rest of us?  And why did you let Goofy make fun of shooting people?  It's not funny where I live.  Is it funny in America?  And then you used the music from Deliverance - and that was a really horrible film.  In fact Mr Bilik didn't really write any music at all - he just pinched it from Bach, or other dead composers, or from out of date TV shows like Naked City.  And that reminds me, what was Donald doing with a heap of gangsters, pretending that violence and robbing jewellery shops and mistreating girlfriends is funny.  That was twisted.  Girls I know really would flame you for that.

    You know, the only bits that were really brilliant were the clowns, specially in the last scene with the water.  Oh, and the bumblebee who jumped through a flaming hoop (though I didn't really know why he did it).  And the people who danced on skates on their own (you know what  I mean, without the big crowd all around them) - they were pretty impressive.  And singing along at the end was all right, I suppose.

    I thought the story was a bit weak - skating on thin ice :-) :-).  Just my joke, but really King Louie's Fabulous Film Fest was a worse excuse for a story than the ones I tell my teacher when I haven't done my homework.  It took a while for people to cotton on, specially when crowds were still coming in because of how long it took to park their cars and they kept standing in the way so we couldn't see much of the first scene.  And Minnie looked really silly when they played "Love is a Many Splendoured Thing".  Yeah, and all this love in misty purple lights (more like foggy actually) didn't mean much to me, though I s'pose the grown ups might have gone a bit gooey.  (My grandad told me about when he saw Rose Marie on Ice about 40 years ago and he said that was really romantic.  He called your love scene, Strictly Ballroom on Ice).

    And you forgot to tell people to bring cushions!  Those seats are verrrry cold and hard.  But it wasn't all a bad show, even if you did seem to want us to rush out and buy anything we wanted, like Roger Rabbit's video machine - you obviously haven't been to our school and learned about environmental problems and rampant consumerism.  Anyway, definitely the best bits were the clowns because they got everyone watching and listening and laughing.

Bruce - NERDS FOREVER!

©Frank McKone

No comments: